09 March, 2009

Installing ESU LokSound Micro v3.5 into ICE 3 (Piko)

Next challenge with installation of ESU LokSound Micro decoder was the Piko ICE 3. Here I found no space to fit the standard loadspeaker, eventually it would be possible to fit the 2 pieces of the smallest loudspeakers - each at the end of bistro car, which serves as engine in the model. However waiting for the smaller loudspekers would be too long and I was quite unpatient. So I took a steel micro saw, steel scissors and decided to make a place enough to fit the standard loadspeaker 16x25mm. First of all, the 8-Pin connector NEM652 is located on one side - this allows only to fit the decoder itself. The other side has more space, but it's moslty occupied by half useless PCB with supressor parts. First I cut in half this PCB, leaving on it only the capacitors, the two parts I cut out and coldered directly to wires, not embarassing the space needed for loudspeaker any more.

Then I took sealing tape and tried to protect the inner space against dust from sanding and sawing. I started to make a round hole with a diameter of the lower part of loudspeaker into the metal top body part. It went very well, after about 10 mins. the hole was finished. I secured with a sealing tape the lower part of loudspeaker - to isolate it from the metal body and put in the place. I had to make the wires to the loudspeaker longer as well. Then I cut again the connector from LokSound decoder - again no space for it and soldered the wires directly onto the connector on ICE. You can see the reference of the NEM652 and NEM651 stadnards on http://www.opendcc.de/info/decoder/schnittstellen_e.html. Finally I sanded the plastic cover on the top sides of the loudspeaker to fit more easily under the cover. The work was complete and test made successful. However I found almost all the sounds too weak - I will have to increase the volume for most of them. However the ICE3 with all cars together is simply too noisy as well.

You can see the ICE 3 with LokSound decoder in action on my YouTube channel.

No comments:

 
TOPlist